Shasta Knight in shining armour slicing the word Shasta vertically with his sword.

Ask the Knight

Find what you need in our searchable FAQ.

Counseling: How do I get started?

1224 views   |   4   1   |   Last updated on Dec 06, 2016   

Get started by applying to Shasta College

Financial Aid: When and how will I receive my funds?

1192 views   |   3   0   |   Last updated on Feb 22, 2018   


Your first disbursement date is determined by the date your file was processed. It should be noted that awards are based off enrollment status, and may be changed to reflect current enrollment status. Any student who has been overpaid must return the funds. Please check out our disbursement schedule


Shasta College has partnered with a third party, BankMobile Disbursements (previously HigherOne) to deliver your financial aid refund. After Shasta College has received your FAFSA and you are registered for classes, you will be mailed a selection kit. This kit will come in the mail as a lime green envelope with an access code to activate your account with BankMobile. The options to receive financial aid are: 

  • Direct Deposit

  • BankMobile Card

If you would like more information, our Bank Mobile website is extremely helpful. 

Admissions & Records: How much does it cost to take classes at Shasta College?

1135 views   |   3   3   |   Last updated on Dec 06, 2016   

Fees to attend Shasta College are available on the Fees and Refund Policy tab on the Admissions Homepage. 

Financial Aid: What is the process to apply for Financial Aid?

867 views   |   3   0   |   Last updated on Dec 14, 2016   

All Federal and State Grants:

Step 1: Submit your FAFSA for the year you plan on attending.

  • Make sure enter EVERYTHING in accurately and include the school you plan on attending. Once you have submitted your FAFSA, print your SAR (student aid report) for your records.

Step 2: Check your email and MyShasta student portal account for additional documents needed to submit to the Financial Aid Office.

  • You may not be required to submit any documents to the Financial Aid Office. Continue to check your email and MyShasta account until you have an Award Letter.

Step 3: For a new student, they will have to activate their BankMobile account (the system we have partnered with to disburse funds) and choose their disbursement preference. The student can choose whether to have the funds disbursed to a BankMobile card, direct deposit into a checking account, or a check in the mail.

BOG (Board of Governors) Fee Waiver: The student can either turn in a paper copy of the BOG Fee Waiver Application to the Financial Aid Office, or apply online. If the student becomes eligible after they have already paid for classes, they will be reimbursed the amount of tuition previously paid. In order to be eligible for a reimbursement, the BOG must be applied before the last day of the term. If you have questions on your reimbursement, contact Admissions and Records at 530-242-7650.                                           

Scholarships: Students either login or sign up to Academic Works Scholarship Portal; input student’s information, and see what scholarships they are eligible for.

Tips: Generally, they will need to be registered in at least 6 units, have 12 college units completed by August 1st for the fall application period or January 1st for the spring semester, an autobiography (information about the student, including educational plans and future goals), and two letters of recommendation. Each scholarship will have specific instructions and guidelines, so the student can follow the instructions for the specific scholarships.

Loans:  All loans must be processed through the Financial Aid office ** you must have a current FAFSA application completed before your loan application can be processed. There is a printable version of the steps to apply for a loan that can be found here.

  1. The first step (for new borrowers only) is to complete the Direct Stafford Loan Entrance Counseling at Electronic confirmation must be received by Shasta College before a loan will be processed.
  2. The student must electronically sign the Master Promissory Note (MPN) online with the Department of Education at . This must be completed each year at Shasta College. Electronic confirmation must be received by Shasta College before a loan will be processed.
  3. Submit a copy of a Complete Educational Plan. To obtain a current educational plan, meet with a counselor, or call the Career and Transfer Center at 530.242.7724.
  4. Print and complete 16-17 Form LB
  5. If you are a new borrower, print and complete 16-17 Form NBEQ

*NOTE: When turning in loan paperwork, be sure to bring a valid government issued photo ID (Shasta College makes a copy to keep with loan forms)

Book Loans and Grants: Dates and requirements can be found here. Apply for either the book loan or book grant online at the following link. *Note: These are for students who are NOT receiving Pell Grant disbursements.

Student Success Center: How do I sign up (register) for classes?

796 views   |   3   1   |   Last updated on Dec 14, 2016   

You can register for classes in person or online through your MyShasta portal. It is important to know your registration date as every student has a different date and time. When you register for classes, you will be required to pay all tuition and other fees in full to keep your classes. If you are having issues with this, please contact Dean of Enrollment services to inquire about a payment plan. Students who currently have an outstanding balance must have clearance and register in person at the Admissions and Records window. 

Counseling: How do I drop a class?

796 views   |   3   0   |   Last updated on Oct 20, 2016   

Do not rely on your instructor to drop you from a class, even if you have stopped attending the class. Log in to MyShasta and select "Register & Drop Section." You do not need permission from your instructor to drop a class; however, as a courtesy you may want to let your instructor know. You can also drop a class in person at the Admissions and Records office. 

Counseling: How do I get off probation?

754 views   |   1   0   |   Last updated on Oct 20, 2016   

To get off probation, you will need to complete a probation workshop. You can access this workshop from and once finished, you will need to make an appointment to see a counselor. You will get off probation when your transcript reflects that you meet the standards of the college: a minimum of a 2.0 ("C") grad point average with more than half of the total number of units you've attempted completed. Repeating classes you did not pass will raise your GPA faster than taking new classes, as the prior grade for the class will not count in the calculation of your grade point average.

Admissions & Records: Where can I purchase a parking permit?

719 views   |   1   0   |   Last updated on Oct 17, 2016   

Parking permits are only required on the Shasta College main campus and the Tehama campus. They must be purchased in person, either at Admissions and Records, the Business office (located on the main campus in the 100 building) or the Tehama campus. 

Admissions & Records: I have to order an official transcript. Can I order them online to do this?

713 views   |   2   0   |   Last updated on Oct 17, 2016   

Transcript Requests are located on the Admissions tab on the Home Page. Towards the bottom of Admissions Home, you will find a tab named Transcripts. Please follow the instructions there to order an official transcript. 

Counseling: What is my user ID for MyShasta?

673 views   |   1   0   |   Last updated on Oct 20, 2016   

Your user ID for MyShasta is the first initial of your first name, your last name, and the 2 numbers of your student ID number. Example: j.doe55

Student Employment: How can I get a job on campus? 

662 views   |   0   0   |   Last updated on Dec 06, 2016   

There are several on campus resources that provide funding for on campus student positions, including Federal Work Study, CalWORKs, etc. If you don't qualify for any of these programs, we encourage you to visit the Student Employment office to determine if there are other opportunities for on campus employment.

Counseling: How do I make a counseling appointment?

644 views   |   1   0   |   Last updated on Oct 20, 2016   

You can make a counseling appointment at or by calling 530-242-7724.

Counseling: Do I need to have a high school diploma or GED to attend Shasta College?

592 views   |   0   0   |   Last updated on Oct 20, 2016   

No, anyone who is at least 18 years old may attend Shasta College, regardless of previous education level, although some financial aid programs require a high school diploma or equivalent. If you are less than 18 years old, you must have a high school diploma or equivalent to attend Shasta college as a regular student. You must be able to take a limited number of classes through concurrent or dual enrollment options with your high school. Check with your high school for more details. 

Counseling: What is my student ID?

548 views   |   1   0   |   Last updated on Oct 20, 2016   

You can locate your student ID number by logging into MyShasta. Select Students and then (under Academic Profile) select My Profile. Your Student ID number is the 7-digit number that appears just below your name.

Admissions & Records: I didn't know there are deadlines to drop classes. How do I find these dates?

546 views   |   1   0   |   Last updated on Dec 06, 2016   

Information on deadlines to drop are located in the Important Dates, which can be found at the bottom of the homepage. 

Admissions & Records: I'm having problems accessing My Shasta. What am I doing wrong?

484 views   |   0   1   |   Last updated on Dec 06, 2016   

Go to MyShasta located on the Home Page. Go to "Account Information."

Counseling: How do I add a class?

471 views   |   1   0   |   Last updated on Oct 20, 2016   

If a class is full or if a class has met more than once, you must get permission from the instructor. The instructor will have to sign a registration form for the class, and you must submit the signed registration form to the Admissions and Records office by the appropriate deadline. If you are trying to add an online class, you need to email the instructor for permission, and if permission is granted, print the instructor's email and submit it with your registration form to the Admissions and Records office by the appropriate deadline.

Admissions & Records: I just registered for a class and it was waitlisted. What do I do next?

467 views   |   0   0   |   Last updated on Dec 06, 2016   

The next steps are listed in Wait List Procedures.

Admissions & Records: I want to apply for a certificate and a degree. Are the application available online?

465 views   |   1   0   |   Last updated on Dec 06, 2016   

The applications are available on the FORMS tab under Admissions and Records.

Transfer Center: What steps should I be completing after I apply to a university?

443 views   |   1   0   |   Last updated on Nov 07, 2016   

After you apply to a university, it is important to stay in contact with that university.  Generally, the university that you apply to will ask you to create a student portal account so that they can communicate with you and provide you with next steps.  Do not miss any deadlines that these universities set with you.  It is common that a university will ask that you send official transcripts from all colleges you have attended and sometimes even from any high schools you have attended.  

back to top